We all know this industry is truly terrible for jargon. I’ve certainly been guilty of it, and sometimes I’m in a meeting and I just think are you for real when someone drops an absolute classic.
This reminded me of a story I did for the very-excellent agency prego* a year or so ago, which was based around a piece of research bemoaning the use of terrible jargon in our industry. I re-read it and it cracked me up so here’s a few classics –
The ‘least favourite’ jargon words emerged as
– ‘Let’s take this offline’ (44%)
– ‘Bespoke Solution’ (18%)
– ‘On message’ (14%)
– ‘Web 2.0 (12%)’
And on a more serious note –
– The ‘department of shame’ which used the most jargon words emerged as Digital, with 20% of people voting for this.
– 97% of respondents thought people used marketing jargon as a way to hide gaps in their knowledge.
– 91% said they were NOT impressed when they heard a colleague or agency using jargon
– 53% admitting they sometimes used it themselves to impress others.
W*nk word bingo anyone?